The Irish Association for Russian, Central and East European Studies (IARCEES)
37th Annual Conference
“Communism and Post-Communism: Transition, Transformation, Stagnation, Regression”
DUBLIN CITY UNIVERSITY, IRELAND
Friday, 15 March and Saturday, 16 March 2013
Established in 1975, the IARCEES annual conference is an inter-disciplinary scholarly gathering for those engaged with the study of what is now the former USSR and its former satellites in Central and Eastern Europe (i.e. the Balkans, Baltic States, Belarus, the Caucasus, Central Asia, Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine)
It seeks to bring together university faculty members, non-governmental organisations, government representatives, graduate students, diplomats and representatives of relevant international organisations.
Disciplines represented include political science, history, anthropology, sociology, Slavic studies, European studies, economics, geography, socio-linguistics, and related fields.
The Conference welcomes papers and panels devoted to a wide variety themes. Issues might include, but are not confined to, History, Politics, and Memory, Elections and democratisation, Ethnicity and Violence, UnrecognisedStates, Migration and Globalization, Religion and Politics, Conflict Resolution and Post-Conflict Reconstruction, Gender and Identity, International Relations, Demography, Language Politics, Sovereignty and Autonomy, EU Integration, Migration, National Identity and Nationalism, Borders and Diasporas, and Political Economy.
The 2013 Conference invites proposals for INDIVIDUAL PAPERS, PANELS and ROUNDTABLES.
A panel includes a chair, three presentations based on written papers, and a discussant.
A roundtable focuses on a new book, where the author is being engaged by three discussants;
Proposals for panels with presentations based on papers must include:
* no more than three paper-givers
* the title of the panel, as well as the title for each of the papers
* the affiliation, postal address, telephone, and email of all participants
* a one-paragraph biographical statement of each participant.
Proposals for roundtables must include:
* a chair and no more than four presenters
* the title of the roundtable and a short (one paragraph) description of the purpose/theme of the roundtable
* the affiliation, postal address, telephone and email of all participants
* a one-paragraph biographical statement of each participant (Not a CV)
NOTE: A panel features presentations based on written papers. A roundtable therefore is not based on specific papers, but rather on a number of organized presentations. The number of roundtables, however, will be limited.
Proposals for individual papers must include:
* the title, and a 200-500 word abstract of the paper
* the affiliation, postal address, telephone, and email of the applicant
* a one-paragraph biographical statement of each participant
Presentations should be no longer than 20 minutes.
If audio-visual equipment (overhead projector, PowerPoint, VCR) is required, please indicate so in your application.
Our web site (http://www.iarcees.org) will provide updated information on the IARCEES Conference.
DEADLINE FOR PANEL AND PAPER PROPOSALS: 20 December 2012
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF PROPOSALS: 6 January 2013
DEADLINE FOR CONFIRMATION OF ATTENDANCE: 1 February 2013
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION: 1 March 2013
Proposals and queries should be sent via e-mail to Dr Donnacha Ó Beacháin at email@example.com
DublinCityUniversity is 10 minutes by taxi from Dublin airport. There is a good variety of competitively priced accommodation nearby.
– Conference registration: €40 / €20 for students.
– Standalone IARCEES membership: €20
– Conference fee plus IARCEES membership: €50 / €30 for students.